“There were ten men in the Bible days
They had been sick so very long.
Then one day Jesus passed their way
And when He spoke, their disease was healed that day.
But they all went on their merry, merry way
Only one returned and said,
“I’ve got something, something I just want to say […] Thank you, Lord for all you’ve done for me.”
Those are the lyrics to the first verse of André Crouch’s song, “Take A Little Time.” The song tells the story recorded in Luke 17:11-19 where Jesus heals 10 lepers and only one returns to give thanks to God for what He had done in the man’s life.
We should seek to be like the one, giving thanks to God for all He has done. But too often we’re like the 9: God has done something wonderful for us and we all just go on our merry way. This Thanksgiving season, let’s remember to give thanks to God! Here are 7 reasons to come before God with a heart of thanksgiving:
1. Because of God’s love for the world (John 3:16)
2. Because God showed His love for the world by giving His Son as a sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins (Romans 5:8, 1 John 4:9-10, 2 Corinthians 5:21)
3. Because Jesus died for our sins according to Scripture (1 Corinthians 15:3)
4. Because Jesus was buried and rose again on the third day according to Scripture (1 Corinthians 15:4)
5. Because all who would believe in Him have been reconciled to God in Christ and will be raised to everlasting life (2 Corinthians 5:19, John 6:40)
6. Because, having entrusted us with the message of reconciliation, in Christ, the Holy Spirit indwells believers and equips us to endure all things for His glory (Romans 8:9, 2 Corinthians 5:19, Philippians 4:13)
7. Because we have hope in a future resurrection in Christ whereby just as we have been united with Him in a death like His, we will certainly be united with Him in a resurrection like His (Romans 6:8, Corinthians 15:42-44, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17)
Indeed, there are more reasons for which we should be thankful to God. May we never neglect to thank God for all He has done. I also thank God for my family and friends. I am especially thankful for my wife, and my children. I have been blessed beyond measure and I just want to take a little time and thank the Lord for all He’s done for me. Thank you, Lord.